18.11.11

nanowrimo - week three

Onwards brave writers!
This blog is the third in a series following my experiences joining the other plucky individuals across the globe participating in National Novel Writing Month.
The challenge: write 50,000 words in the 30 days of November.
Check the links below for the previous weeks blogs

Week three is drawing to a close leaving NaNo-ers with the current challenge of hitting 30 thousand words by today. I met with the Notts chapter on Saturday, which has greatly reduced in physical number, I don't think this reflects the number of actual participants but weekends are fast becoming valuable commodities to NaNo writers. Days free of the interference of regular life where one can sit and plough into the lives of those you have created.


This was an interesting subject to me while talking to the other writers, many of them have an odd way (at least to me anyway) of going about their novels. The characters aren't commanded, the writer is not some divine creator of their worlds, these writers seem to fall into a process of automatic writing where by the characters run amok and they are left to tie together the pieces.
For me I am the one in control of the lives of my cast, I called them into being and so I force them into situations and command and describe how they react. Otherwise we could end up in a situation very like that of 'Stranger than fiction.' I want the audience (should it ever see an audience) to react along with the characters, my feeling are that a writer is attempting to connect to an audience not be the audience to their own work. I was interesting to see how others work especially when one participant, while writing, dropped her head into her palm and announced woefully "Oh my god, I can't believe she's in love." Having 'discovered' a characters feelings during the writing process.


In terms of progress I was amazed to find that two of the Notts chapter had already crossed the 50k marker and were hoping to clear a tonne by the end of November. For me this week has been about catching up, my week on 'Fiddler' left me behind and spending the week making incremental progress toward the daily shifting word par.
I have been trying to push for a rough three thousand words a day which has been an undeniable challenge but satisfying to see graph over on nanowrimo.org steadily realign. I'm pretty confident that I can hit the 50k marker in time at the moment. I don't feel that I've gotten a steady routine of writing out of the experience yet and am worried that it means I'll lose the urge to continue when November ends. I am a little worried that my two main character have only just met at the 20k word point, I might need another month just to finish it. 


As I haven't been posting excepts since the first blog I thought I'd leave you with something of a different interest. Below is a playlist of song I've been using to write to, I can't write to anything with lyrics as I need to be only concentrating on the words in my head, I'm not sure if they've inspirational yet but they have certainly filled the silence and 
muffled the sound of constant keyboard tapping. 
Enjoy.
Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts IV
Keith Hillebrandt - diffusion of useful noise
Mike Morasky - Bombs for Throwing at You
Mike Morasky - OMG, What has he done?
Mike Morasky - The Part Where He Kills You
Mike Morasky - TEST 
Mike Morasky - Excursion Funnel
Mike Morasky - Machiavellian Bach
Mike Morasky - FrankenTurrets
Mike Morasky - Wheatley Science
Mike Morasky - Reconstructing more science
Paul Leonard-Morgan - Trippy
Paul Leonard-Morgan - Psyched
Jon Gomm - Stupid Blues
Apocalyptica - One
Teargas & Plateglass - Maternity Ward at the Martyrs Hospital
Paul Leonard-Morgan - Eddie Is Sick
Aphex Twin - Father
Rob Dougan - Prelude
Philip Glass - Prophecies
Philip Glass - Knee 1
Philip Glass - IV
Philip Glass - III
Philip Glass - I
Philip Glass - Dance (Act II Scene II)
Philip Glass - Prelude
Clint Mansell - Memories (Someone We'll Never Know)
Clint Mansell - I'm Sam Bell, Too...
Clint Mansell - Work
Clint Mansell - The Last Man
Ela Lambin - Soune
Clint Mansell - Sacrifice
Low resolution sunset - This blinding light
Tyler Bates - The Hot Gates
Nine Inch Nails - We're in this together (Inulkus interpretation)
Nine Inch Nails - Just like you imagined (Chris Rainham string mix)
Nine Inch Nails - Corona Radiata
Nine Inch Nails - Another Version of the Truth 
(Kronos Quartet and Enrique Gonzalez Muller Remix)
Nine Inch Nails - Leaving Hope
Teargas & Plateglass - The Seduction of Canned Laughter
Aphex Twin - Nanou 2
Paul Leonard - Morgan Van Loon
Apocalyptica - Nothing Else Matters
Mike Morasky - Love as a Construct
Mike Morasky - There She Is
Clint Mansell - Together We Will Live Forever
Teargas & Plateglass - A Feeble Solemn Twilight
Nine Inch Nails - Another Version of the Truth
Paul Leonard - Morgan Happy Pills
Drawbacks - Get Fucked
Clint Mansell - We're Not Programs, Gerty, We're People
Ela Lambin - Stamenture
E.S. Posthumus - Pompeii
Nine Inch Nails - 21 Ghosts III
Paul Leonard-Morgan - Trading Up
Clint Mansell - Xibalba
Paul Leonard-Morgan - I Still Love You
Apocalyptica - Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Clint Mansell - Can't Get There from Here
Clint Mansell - Are You Receiving?
Nine Inch Nails - A Warm Place
Great Men - No Fear Of Humans
Great Men - Hot Meat



Clint Mansell - We're Going Home
Nine Inch Nails - 34 Ghosts IV
Paul Leonard-Morgan - Hiring Bodyguards
Aphex Twin - Jynweythek Ylow
Nine Inch Nails - The frail (Quartet Version)
Nine Inch Nails - La Mer
Clint Mansell - Welcome to Lunar Industries (Three Year Stretch....)
Paul Leonard-Morgan - Lindy Leaves Eddie
Juno Reactor - Conga Fury
Great Men - Staymaker
Chris Vrenna - Fortress of Doors (Alice 2 Orchestral Mix)
Teargas & Plateglass - Look Instead at the Perpetrators Intent
Nine Inch Nails - Gone, Still
Nine Inch Nails - Closer (Quartet version)
John Murphy - In the House - In a Heartbeat
Paul Leonard-Morgan - Down the Hatch
Mike Morasky - Concentration Enhancing Menu Initialiser
Paul Leonard-Morgan - Eddie's Back
Teargas & Plateglass - Haengyong
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - Pieces Form the Whole
Clint Mansell - Two Weeks & Counting...
Clint Mansell - Stay With Me
Paul Leonard-Morgan - Lindy Chase
Bentley Rhythm Ace - Bentley's Gonna Sort You Out
Teargas & Plateglass - The Consoling Past
Sigur Ros - Saeglopur
Mike Morasky - 15 Acres of Broken Glass
Apocalyptica - Fade to Black
Nine Inch Nails - Banged and blown through (Instruments)
Clint Mansell - First Snow
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - Penetration
Mike Morasky - I Saw a Deer Today
Paul Leonard-Morgan - Escaping Tancoat
W-i-e - Patzer
Paul Leonard-Morgan - Hiring Eddie
Paul Leonard-Morgan - Phone Tap
Mike Morasky - 9999999
Paul Leonard-Morgan - Trashed Hotel
Nine Inch Nails - Adrift and at Peace
Mike Morasky - Overgrowth
Nine Inch Nails - A warm place (Jul Ducamp piano version)
Charlie Clouser - Four Notes
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - Hand Covers Bruise
Paul Leonard-Morgan - Eddie Knows What to Do
Clint Mansell - Lux Aeterna
Erik Satie - Gnossienne No1
Freeland - Big Wednesday
Project - Semuta
Nine Inch Nails - Theme for Tetsuo the Bullet Man
Paul Leonard-Morgan - Opening
Ela Lambin - Whail
Ela Lambin - Siddhartha
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - The Gentle Hum of Anxiety
Teargas & Plateglass - The Fury of an Aroused Spectator
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - Hand Covers Bruise - Reprise
Paul Leonard-Morgan - Walk Home
Teargas & Plateglass - Kuomintang
Clint Mansell - The Nursery
Vast - Lady of Dreams
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - Dinner with Sean
Aphex Twin - Avril 14th
Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings
Philip Glass - II
Flatline - SEF

No comments:

Post a Comment